Sunday 6 May 2007

In the Beginning

In the Beginning, The Nostalgia of the Infinite caught my eye. I was already in a relationship with Vase with Fifteen sunflowers so it seemed unfaithful to be looking at someone else. If anyone was too blame it was Dali's fault. I had been researching him approximately 3 weeks before hand and had finally come to some point where I actually understood Surrealism. I could also blame this which had lead me done to this work.

I don't know why it was this game as I have never played it before. It was a random encounter on my usual walk on the net. Despite the size of it,I never venture far enough. Wikipedia seems to part of my safety net.

I only found out this week,Giorgio de Chirico is considered a starting point or an influence for Surrealistic art.

I'm not sure what drew me to this picture,I remember feeling that my substitute painting teacher would tell me that I was picking something too easy. Every one's seen Van Gogh countless times. Of course it never occurred to me at the time that I could choose anything I felt like.

Though it did occur to me that painting sunflowers was difficult and that I still had yet to decide on a way to reinterpret the painting. I blame it on the fact that Ico was on my mind. Perhaps it was the apparent simplicity of it all that convinced me to do it. My eye is always drawn to buildings I don't know why. But buildings as a man-made structure are always easier to remodel than something that has occurred naturally.

And so half an hour later,I was holding both paintings in my hand,trying to decide which one to go for. It later became a split second decision based on the teacher mentioning that The Starry Night should not be appearing in the class,because there is always someone who wants to work it to death. Perhaps not in those words but that is what memory is for. It embellishes.

3 hours later and I had finished making a copy of The Nostalgia of the Infinite. Although I missed painting in the flags,I was quite happy with it. It wasn't a pure copy,but it did give me an excellent view of the composition. Before I started painting it,it was just a strange picture of a tower.

And now I can see the infinite space that was/is occupied within this painting.


________________________________________________________________________

Originally conceived in my head somewhere near the 20th of April.
This post is part of an art assignment to research a painting,document this research and produce an interpretation of said painting. Such is the power of the internet and the immediate quality of blogging.

No comments: