Friday 11 May 2007

Painting Assignment - Development

A look into my visual diary.
A look at some of my planning,looks like. After I did the copy(picture coming!) I took on the suggestion of my class mates,to make the tower twist. A friend says it looks like the tower melted.

So I moved on and tried a free-form kind of approach. I had a better picture in my mind so of course,it never came out. I tried to make a tower that had a lot of empty space but it also went up. I don't know if that makes sense. But I think the tower is supposed to be a memory of infinity or is a representation of infinite space. I will write more later.

13th May- According to my teacher,I can have my own opinions as part of my research for this assignment. Looking even harder at the picture and trying to figure out just what it is all about. I might be on the right track with it,maybe the title is somewhat misleading. It might relate to the Tower of Babylon,which was supposably a tower that went on for ever. So the 'tower series' by de Chirico may be a continuation of this - a tower is really a big,long building constructed to go as high as mechanically possible.

Another way of looking at this picture/series is as a continuing theme of searching for a retreat. Everyone likes to have their own private space. It could also be a look into a strange fantasy world. Though I kind of like that idea,lonely towers that go upwards to some dizzy height in a empty world that is barely inhabited. It's very open to interpretation,so what I write here could be right.



Incidently if you look at the next progression of idea development,it looks very simular to another of the Tower Series known as the Great Tower. Perhaps the other ones are all aspiring to become like this monument. I don't know where I was heading,I think I was trying to create this space that was a construction that was open or lead up to somewhere. It's annoying when I can see it in my head by not have it translate to paper!


Something of a final development stage - it of course changed while I was painting it. I think I was going for a long and thin tower with archways that went somewhere or perhaps didn't make sense. I think I'll always be in some fantasical landscape.

Some article on de Chirico - I haven't read it since it might upload spyware on my computer. You have been warned!!
Some notes or a report someone did on de Chirico
A poem based on the Nostalgia of the Infinite
Exposure to the ideas of modern mathematics has led artists to attempt to depict graphically the haunting qualities of the infinite. - An article on modern mathematics

"magic unreality and poetic sensibility of metaphysical images" - de Chirico's work as described by here


Guess who?
He studied art in Athens before moving to Paris where he created such unusual works as "Toys of a Prince", "Sweet Afternoon", and "Nostalgia of the Infinite". Influenced by the writings of Apollinaire and Nietzsche, he founded the movement called "pittura metafisica". For 10 points, name this Italian artist known for long shadows and exaggerated perspectives such as those in "Mystery and Melancholy of a Street."
________________________________________________________________________

This post is part of an art assignment to research a painting,document this research and produce an interpretation of said painting. Such is the power of the internet and the immediate quality of blogging.

No comments: